Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Stumped by Phonics...

True Story.

Quaid was working on his school this morning. I start the kids out reading when they're 4...so even though Quaid's in Kindergarten, his Phonics is 1st grade. That is a VERY important fact for the rest of the story...Just thought I maybe needed to prove it...for myself that is.



His assignment was to read a word....and underline the root word.
Then he had to write the root word on the line...


Not too tough...so I thought. I love how Quaid likes to make his little "a's" like that :)

And yes I know...the pictures are a little fuzzy. I despise cameras and the dumb thing wouldn't take my picture zoomed all the way in...kept blinking green lights at me...so I just kept on turning the little dial one spot at a time until it actually shot for me. How does it know if it's actually in focus or not. Seriously. Irritating. So cut me some slack.

Oops, how'd that get in there...see I told you I'm challenged when it comes to the picture thing. Seems that we had a white bird outside our house. I'm not sure how that fits...but just go with it.

So here's where the problem came in...

"axes" I saw it coming and I stared and stared at it. Is the root just "ax" and add "es" or is it "axe" and just add the "s". I went back and forth...both ways didn't seem quite right...or was it both ways did seem right? So Quaid got to this one and looked at me a little puzzled..."so it's "axe" for the root and "s" is the ending?"

I had no idea.

"Sure" I said. Problem solved.

As I thought about it more this morning. I do think it's "ax" and I think this

is where I went terribly wrong. I stare at this in my shower daily. Okay, for those of you who really know me, not daily. I supposed more bi-daily. I stare at it with a small piece of resentment of its odoriferous (don't worry, I spell checked that one, it's right) content.

If your husband ever says, "Hey honey, I'm thinking about getting some "man wash," how 'bout I try some AXE."

JUST SAY NO!!!!

Unless you would like to fumigate your whole house...really, the WHOLE house!

Anyway, at least it was 1st grade and not Kindergarten Phonics...right?? See I told you that was an important fact!

At least my kids will always be able to say, "Sorry, I was home schooled."

2 comments:

Jess said...

Bi-daily showers----I think that might be a stretch. Bi-weekly?

Nanna Anne said...

Oh boy i take my hat off to you for home schooling in the first place!!!!!your'e a legend!!!!

Post a Comment