Saturday, August 21, 2010

Here is the continued subject list of what I use to school my children, when I feel like it...

History

This was my last purchase, the one I researched probably the most. I realize that the "facts of History" range all across the board. You would think, it either happened or it didn't. Turns out there are alot of opioions out there that are taught as fact. There are some things that are just passed right by that were really crucial turning points in history. Maybe because they shed a little bit of a dim light on good ole' America. Truth be told the US did some pretty nasty things too and I want my kids to have a well rouned view of everything that makes us who we are today. Granted my kids are very young and they are learning just the surface but still, I'd rather start off on the right foot. After reading a kazillion reviews, I ended up with Beautiful Feet. (No I didn't get a pedicure, and actually might never have one again thanks to a certain ER patient that I met during one of my Emergency shifts....GROSS!!!!) Anyway, this is a history through literature approach. It is a kit with lots of books about lots of people and events in history. So far the kids LOVE it!! They have little history notebooks that we color pictures in, write down poems, or different ideas, and then we read a book about it. Not a textbook, a story book, which I love! The first book is about Leif Erickson. One whom I know NOTHING about. So I'm learning right along with them. Truth be told I actually know nothing of history in general. I was a good memorizer in school so I remembered all the facts to pass the test and then it was gone, so I'm pretty sure every single book I will be learning right along with them.

While reading reviews I came across a couple that I just have to share becuase it just sort of shows why maybe there are so many different "history facts" that are taught to please every audience.

One was, "Providence in History" (one of the suggested readings) is was too Christian based, we are secular so we just chose not to read that."

My comment: "I'm sorry, but regardless of your views, religious freedoms and Christianity was a HUGE part of early American history. Maybe one of the biggest reasons that America even exists. And our founding fathers...they were Christian and our country WAS founded on Christian principles!

Another was, "I didn't like "that" (can't remember what book they were referring to) book. The only roles for woman they talked about were a teacher or secretary.

My comment: "Once again, I'm sorry back in the 1800's those WERE the only jobs that woman had. I'm sure there were a few Doctor Quinn's out there. But again, that WAS our history, like it or not. Woman were home raising all the kids they had, while grinding their own flour and churning their own butter...who had time for a job???

It is my desire that my kids be educated with the truth, not just what they would like to think history was. So after reading a few of those comments, I figured this was the right cirriculum for me!!

Science

This one is kind of embarrassing really. I hadn't really picked anything out. I was a little burnt out from souring all the history book sites. Then one day a girl knocked on my door. She was a college student selling a set of educational science books. Long story short, I bought them. I know, a door to door salesman? For my kids education? Yeah I know. I just got them last week and haven't really looked at them yet, but I'm sort of excited about them. It's a set of 30 some books, and they cover all sorts of topics and have projects and experiments in them to match what they're learning. Truth be told Deb is in charge of "projects" and well, I'm hoping science in genearal as well. So I may never know if they're good or not!!

Geography

I did throw in a random book teaching about maps. Can't remember where I got it but it's just something a little different to lighten up the reading, writing, math load.

So there you have it. I always thought I would be one to just pick one cirriculum with a neat nifty little lesson plan and follow the schedule and just go with it do or die. As I go along, I find that I like to pick and choose what I use. That's one of the best things about homeschooling. And yes I make a weekly schedule, on a spreadsheet with each date listed and all the assignments that need to be done each day that goes in a neat little 3 ring binder with each of their names on it that sits next to all my other three ring binders neatly labeled. But really if my day goes bad, or someone calls up and wants to play...Scrap the schedule, I just move it on back to the next day and start over...which happens ALOT!!! Yea for homeschooling!

1 comments:

Melanie B said...

You are soo awesome!! this is sooo funny. You really have to do your research huh.I love that your country was based on christian principles. I mean God forbid you teach the kids about God hey Kaz. I can't wait to see it all.

Post a Comment