Monday, September 21, 2009

Memories...

As a mom I wish I could remember everything...every little funny thing they've done or said. But it's just not possible. When conversations come up about my child hood...I always question my mom..."How can you NOT remember that??"

Yeah well, I'm there. I think back to my kids as babies...which was just a few years ago and I can't remember...I really can't! I remember some things, specific moments, things they did...but not everything and it's frustrating.

And if you ask my husband...he'll say it's a bit more than things about the kids that I forget. I used to blame it on just being pregnant.....or I just had a baby....or I have a lot going on any particular week....but now I've given in to the fact that it's just all the time...and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I've always been one to be on top of everything. Not so much anymore.

An email from Nathan while I was working..."So how did your van drive to work this morning?"

I'm thinking, "Great..Wow! How considerate of him, checking on my safety( we've been having some problems with the van lately...what a blessing to have a mechanic for a husband) making sure everything on the van was sounding better etc."

Then I read the next line..."Now how am I supposed to go anywhere with the kids? You took the wrong car! Remember we just talked about it last night!?!"

Oh yeah...that's right...we did just talk about that before I went to bed...slipped my mind :)

Lucky for us...my dear Nathan has learned to laugh it off...most of the time though....

Quaid on the other hand has been my little helper lately.

Q: "Mom can I have (insert anything that a child normally asks for)?"

Me: "Yep sure." (busy around the kitchen doing something else and then coming to sit down at the table.)

Q: "Mom...Are you forgetting something?"

Yep sure enough....I had forgotten. I have to laugh at his creative questioning. The kids are constantly told to not ask more than once for something. He gets around that quite nicely.

It used to bother me...but I thought one day....

These are the things I NEVER forget:

to kiss my kids
to hug my kids
to tell them I love them
to read to them
to make sure they are fed
to make sure they have clean clothes to wear
to make sure they are warm
to make sure they get to play and have fun
to make sure they learn
to pray with them

So I've learn to let go...I may lose it on some day to day things...and I may not remember every little cute thing my kids have done...but the important things...I will know that I didn't forget :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment