Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A little vacation

Like I said before we went for our little weekend getaway, Nathan and I don't vacation. Since Nathan is from "out of town"...about every 4-5 years we make a big trip Down Under. Every penny of vacation money we can set aside goes towards that. And obviously if we ever turned up there without our kids...I think we'd be kicked in the ocean to swim home! As far as visiting your in laws...it's not a bad place to go...Imagine if they lived in....well I've got a few dirthole places in my mind. But for the sake of not offending anyone, I'll just stop there.


So that means one vacation every 4 years and always with kids. So when this short **free** weekend came about I was more than excited! What did we do with our time?


Put together 3 puzzles...I LOVE puzzles and rarely get to do them at home. Watched movies, played games, pingpong, ate "adult" food. Velveeta chip dip makes a great dinner...but not one that should be fed to the kids! Stayed up till 1am and slept in till 10.


Most of all I LOVED that my day wasn't completely laid out to fit with a kid schedule. Meal time, nap time, bed time. My days are always planned around these activities. I like happy, well rested kids...I do my best to accomplish that every day. I did what I wanted, when I wanted.


There was a Viking's game on Sunday and the cabin having no TV, we opted to head into the booming town of Waterville to find a place to watch the game...Nathan and I aren't really in the bar scene...we pretty much stick out like a raisin in a bowl of milk.


So we drove into town circled the two blocks of Waterville and settled on "Bullheads" It was fitting as Waterville is the bullhead capital of the world...something to be proud of? You decide...


We akwardly walk in to find one guy behind the bar and 2 guys sitting at the bar chit chatting away about the upcoming game. It was dark and dingy...so we took a seat and ordered up a couple of cokes. We moved to the bar soon after 1 more person came in. It was starting to get crowded and we wanted a good seat so we sat at the opposite end of the bar in front of the big screen....with our cokes. All was fine until the Vikings scored. The bartender spun this big wheel thing and they pulled a number out of a can...Big cheers for Skittles. Free Skittles. The bartender politely made his way down to our end of the bar to offer us a free skittles. I contemplated the thought in my mind...free skittles, that could be good. But I turned down the offer. As the bartender walked away,


Me: (to Nathan) "I can't eat skittles anymore...they're too sugary for me."


N: "Ummm...I don't think they were talking about the candy."


Me: (ever so confused) "Really?"


I turned to take a look down the bar...sure enough mixing up some drink. Oooohhh I get it... "skittles". Good darn thing I didn't take up the offer! How embarrassing!

1 comments:

Melanie B said...

you are a crackup. Glad you had a nice weekend away. You deserve it. It is funny sometimes to be adult huh. So used to doing kid things it is nice!! I would love that, maybe you and I could escape to the cabin for a night!!! LOL Me xxx

Post a Comment