Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Vacation

This year's MEA break brought about the 2nd tri-annual Pahl Family Vacation. When there are 28 immediate family members each with their own schedules, in laws and other things that keep people busy...my mom discovered that Holidays are no longer all inclusive. She came up with the idea of a mandatory tri-annual vacation. We all go. Every single person. For the entire trip.

For me it's all about the kids. There is nothing better than seeing all the cousins together. I grew up without cousins and am so glad that my kids have oodles of memories with their cousins. I had cousins...lots of them...but honestly I could pass most of them by walking down the street and not even recognize them. And the others live in Iowa. Logistically, it just wasn't possible.

We went to the home of Dolly Parton, Gatlinburg TN. After a quick google, we found out that it was in the general area of Gatlinburg. There was a little google debate on her exact roots.

Tennessee and Minnesota are a ways apart...turns out a long 17 hour drive apart. How do I know? Well turns out we missed our flight and had to drive. Oops! I'll take 100% responsibility for it. I can admit when I make a mistake. This was kind of a dousy as far as mistakes go. Of all days to miss a flight...MEA break was not a good one. And for sure not a good one when traveling with 6 people. I thought about taking the one spot available on the next plane and ditching Nathan with kids to drive...What? I can't lie!

We left MN about 330pm and arrived around 9am the next morning. It's a good thing my kids are EXCELLENT road trippers. When we first departed, they asked if it was as long as Iowa. We informed them that it's 3 times to Iowa. Big eyes, dropped jaws...and that was it. It was 17 hours of smooth sailing. It was a good test for them...seeing as we have a serious road trip planned for our next visit to Nathan's homeland.

It was a great trip. We toured underground caverns, saw the Aquarium, rode go karts, went on rides, went rafting, did a zip line and ropes course. Yep, still feeling that ropes course. We saw the Dixie Stampede, and a Lumberjack show, and the kids went "swimming" in the hot tub. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful and our lodging was perfect for our family.

We will definitely go back, there's lots more we want to do there...hopefully another road trip with the Brewins!

1 comments:

Melanie B said...

Oh yeah baby. Ours are good road trippers too. 20 hours and only one fight yeehah.
I still can't believe my organised friend missed a flight, that is something I would do, not YOU!! hahahahah
Love you can't wait!!!!

M xxx

Post a Comment