Wednesday, July 27, 2011

...the little things.

It's 7:42am. I'm sitting at my computer preparing my homeschool lessons for this next year. Just 10 minutes ago I just heard 3 footsteps across our wood floor, just 3 tiny steps and no other sounds. Immediately as I heard them I knew...Jentzen, that is Jentzen who is awake. Those weren't Quaid, Ava's or even Keira's footsteps. They were Jentzen's.

It still blows my mind that a mother can do that. When I was young I used to be amazed at the fact that a mother could hear their baby cry out of 1000 and know exactly which cry was from their own. And not it's me. When I'm downstairs and the kids are up, I can tell from their cry, whine, or shout exactly what happened. I know if they are hurt, if someone hit them, if someone took a toy from them, or if they're just frustrated. Just from the tone, volume, and length of cry. I usually get it right. I know if it requires me to go to them, or if I should wait until they will come to me. I love that because it means I know my children, I've spent time with them, I've paid attention to them, I've taken time to take note of the little details of their lives. I haven't gotten too busy with the callings of life, housework, and everything else to not know the little things. There is no replacement for that kind of joy...the joy of the little things.

This brings to me what I will be meditating on today. It is the same with my Lord? Have I spent time with Him, do I know Him? Do I hear the small quiet footsteps and know that it's Him? When I hear something, do I know him deeply enough to discern what is required of me? Have I gotten too busy and distracted to not realize what is the Lord and what is the flesh pulling me in the other direction?

No other person can know my children like I do, no one else can tell me about them, can make me hear the difference in the footsteps. No one else can tell me the difference between my child's cry. Those just aren't things that can be put into words.

Knowing the Lord is not something that someone else can do for you either. You can't find life in another's relationship with Him...it has to be your own. I can't know Jesus because someone else does. And there is absolutely no replacement for the ultimate joy of hearing footsteps or a quiet whisper and knowing....that is you Lord!

PS...I now am hearing farting noises from the other room involving a mouth and an arm. Now, I'm FOR SURE it's Jentzen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reminders for me Karen!

Melanie B said...

And for me. A great post. You are such an awesome Mama too, an example to follow. Love you kaz.

Post a Comment