Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's a birthday today!

Today there might be approximately 18,585,087 people having birthday's. At least that's what Wikipedia told me. We all know that Wikipedia is total fact. And 18,585, 086 of those people share today as their special day with my dad!! Those 18+ million people are very very lucky!





My dad turns 71 today. 71. Some people my age have grandparents this age. I always had the oldest parents. Being the youngest of 6 had a little to do with it. Did it ever bother me? Not in the least. Age for my dad never seemed to be a factor.







I remember days of playing ball and going on bike rides. My dad came on all school field trips with me, sat in the bleachers of every sporting even he could make it to. Endless weekend days of hiking through the woods behind our house...sliding down the leaf covered slopes....only getting us "lost" once. Of course he would never let on to that...he claims he "knew" where we were the whole time. Which translates into somewhere between Jordan and Shakopee on the East side of 169 :) My dad with our old dog pepper in his arms because he just had to come along despite being way too old and arthritic to make the whole journey. As I've mentioned before he was always right there laying on the floor playing games with me, sharing his popcorn.





As I grew older he always did his part with the school projects, chasing me around to sporting events, dances, anything that was a must for the limited social life of a teenager.





I remember many heated conversations about where I would be going to church on Sunday and if God cared about what I wore to church. I was a bit feisty...and he was as patient as one could be.





Off to college I went, which involved lunches at the Pie Shop...more commonly known as Baker's Square. Custard Pie. It's all about the Custard for him. I got to proudly tell all the other cashless, carless freshmen that I was being picked up for a lunch date...with my dad...and that he as paying!





And now here we are 11 years, a heart attack and a stroke later....



I now find myself saying he WAS instead of he IS. It's different, and there's no avoiding the fact that he's different.

My sister and I were just reminiscing on the parenting we received. We both decided that my dad, paired with an awesome, wife and mother by his side did an outstanding job. We sat there and stared at each other blankly when trying to think of something they could have done better or different. They built confidence in us, but kept us humble. They made sure we each knew who we were instead of matching up to someone else. They had rules and followed through with consequences.


It saddens me that my husband and children will never know who he WAS. But they do know who he IS which just might be the most important.



Although many things have changed...one remains constant. My dad continues to count his blessings day after day when others would not, with all praises to our Lord. And above anything else he IS a great servant of God!



From everyone in our home...Happy Birthday and We Love You!

1 comments:

DWNUNDR said...

Truly an inspirational man...

Post a Comment