Thursday, April 9, 2009

I bet that one made you think for a second!! What did you think I meant???

Our tomato plants of course!! Deb and I are attempting to have a garden this year. And why not start big?? So we are starting our tomatoes from seed. For all of you tomato plant buyers, this is how it's really done!!!

The size of our garden will be 50' x 40' at least. We've got in the plans: sweet corn, beans, peas, carrots, tomatoes. Grown in other spots: melons and watermelons (thanks dad for some stolen space in your pumpkin patch), and potatoes (in Deb's home garden plot). And at last but not least.....POPCORN. Yep that's right, we are going to grow some popcorn. So I've been told that it involves a little bit of work to actually get it to the point where we are actually able to pop the pop corn kernels....we're going to give it a go anyway.

I think the kids are going to be pretty excited to watch things growing and help at harvest time. Better train them in now on the weeding and tending to the garden...so maybe in a few years it's their job!! I can sit in the house sipping lemonade watching :) Yep, that was my child hood...working in the pumpkin patch sweating, getting eaten by mosquitoes and pulling weeds...the whole time swearing that I would never grow anything again, and I would never submit my kids to this kind of torture! Hhhhmmmm....it seems to be different now that I'm on the mom side!!!

I'll keep you posted on the progress of our garden. Deb and I HAVE to work hard at this. We have such ideals in our minds and our husbands are...let's just say a little less optimistic with regards to our gardening capabilities....(aka, it's going to be one big dried out crusty weed patch with one bean and half of a corn stock.) So to avoid the, "I told you so" we are determined!!

3 comments:

Cari said...

i am so excited for you !!!! Can't wait to see things grow!!

Melanie B said...

You girls go!!! We too had the pessimists, but not so much so when they are eating fresh tomatoes, herbs, passionfruit etc that is totally organic & sort of free!!!!

TMink said...

what do you have the little seedlings wrapped in? don wants to start our plants from seed this year instead of buying our $1 plants from the farmers market...send me an email :)

Post a Comment