Friday, April 10, 2009

No More Toys!!!

So yesterday we finally followed through on a big threat that's been going around and around in the Walkington home.


The toy room was locked...with all the toys in it!! We've been having a few struggles with the cleaning up factor. The kids have obviously not been really into cleaning up after playing with their toys and usually when told to do so, they do a pretty good job...but not so much lately. So finally that was it...we gathered up all the toys from around the house and put them in the room, shut off the light, and locked the door.


I think the kids were a bit shocked that it was actually done as I have threatened it for about a week. Yes yes I know. Never say something unless you intend on following through. Well maybe a week late but I did it.


So I was working away on my current quilt project in the kitchen with the following thoughts...


"I wonder what they will do....there is nothing for them to play with....oh great...this might not be such a good idea...they are going to start with everything in the house they're not supposed to be doing....I'm still going to be getting after them...maybe even more...maybe I should just let them back in...no no Karen, you said you were going to do it..be strong!!


It all started with a couple of kitchen stools......they brought them in the other room. That was okay I guess...I'll let that one go. They were fairly quiet...ALWAYS a good time to go check on them. They had their stools all set up with pillows and blankets. "Look Mom! We're flying our rocketships!!"


On and on the day went...they did that for awhile, they sat at the kitchen counter watching me cut my quilt chatting to eachother..telling stories....they played with Keira, they did laundry...then they came hopping in my office in Nathan's work pants...Not sure what they were supposed to be but they all three had his pants pulled up to their necks, tripping over the pant legs...laughing hysterically!


I had to work in the evening...when i got home I asked Nathan how the kids were...Really Really Good he said. They had hung up all their coats, cleaned up the entry, took all the shoes matched them all up and lined them up in the closet...all without asking!


So at the end of the day...they all had a blast...they stayed busy all day...just being creative and pretending all sorts of things. It's so fun to see what their little minds imagine. Not once did I have to deal with someone running to me crying because someone took their toy.


Maybe we will have more days when the toyroom door is locked!!!

1 comments:

Melanie B said...

amen to that sister!! I always find throwing some of them away in garbage bags changes attitudes quickly too. It is amazing how much their imagination works when they don't have toys too, & the NO fighting always works for me. I cannot wait to meet these gorgeous munchkins. I think they might be scared of me always wanting to kiss them. hee hee hee.

Post a Comment