Thursday, April 23, 2009

I sadly have no picture to go along with this story. If i did have one, it would be AWESOME!! But as you continue to read, you'll know why!



I was outside raking the lawn and picking up piles of rocks (from the snowplow if you remember) this was day #2.



Nathan had previously had the 4-wheeler on the back of the truck along with the ramps to get it on and off the truck. The kids were climbing up and down the ramps and jumping in the back of the pickup.



Then...I hear a scream...one of those screeching ones that means that something is wrong...seriously wrong.



A: "Quick mom! Quaid needs you!!!"



The first thought through my head was..."Oh great, he fell through one of the spaces in the ramps and cracked his leg in half." After all...like father like son.



I ran over there and got a good look at Quaid's position...and started to laugh. Yep that's right, I was laughing at my child that was screaming with a look of terror on his face. His arms were flailing around and his feet were kicking....



What's that??.....His arms and feet were both off the ground?? Yep that's right again! He was hanging upside down off the tailgate from his back pocket! It was hilarious!!!!



Now here's where I had to laugh at myself....While running to him in the first place it took me a few seconds to fully take in his position. When I realized that he was actually just fine I stopped dead in my tracks with the following monologue in my head...



Me1: "Quick go get the camera...what a picture!!"



Me2: "Don't you dare! Look at the look on your son's face."



Me1: "But I NEED it for the blog! What a story!"



Me2: "Go get him down...you can't leave him like that! And what would everyone reading your blog think? They would obviously know that you left him there, ran and got the camera, and then proceeded to say, "Smile Quaid" while you took his picture!"



Me1: "Yeah you're right...."



I continued on towards Quaid. I was about 2 feet from him....yet again....



Me2: "Oh come on....What a shot...never again will you get such an image...it will only take a second! He'll be okay."



So I take one step back towards the house...



Me1: "Seriously, look at your son's face. It's sheer terror! GO GET HIM!!!"



Like my title suggests...Me1 won.



So in order to give my "Me2" a chance, later on that evening the following:



Me: "Quaid, that was awesome the way you were hanging off the truck!"



Q: (with a sad, disturbed, confused look) "I didn't like it!"



Me: "It was the coolest...I loved it!!! Do you think we could hang you up there again so I can get a picture of it??"



Q: "No, I don't want to!"



Me: "Oh come on Quaid, it will be fun!!



Q: "No!"



So sorry, no picture. I bet you could imagine it though.



Later that evening I had a chuckle to myself. I actually had to talk myself out of walking away from my screaming son...TWICE!! And then asked if I could put him through the traumatic experience again!



There's still part of me that thinks it would have been totally worth it and Quaid would have forgiven me!!!

2 comments:

Melanie B said...

what a photo that would have been!!!! Have missed you blogging. Haven't had a laugh in days!!! Love you guys, next time take a photo!! Bad mum aren't I?? Me xx

cari said...

hahahaha!
I miss you guys! for once somebody understands the conflict of blog vrs. kids.
Love you karen!!!

Post a Comment