Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nathan is a mechanic, a grease monkey, a car guy or more professionaly stated, an Automotive Technician. He loves it and it's truly his passion...well no not really, but hey doesn't positive thinking count for something?? It does however put food on the table which really is the goal of a job - actually enjoying your job is a secondary bonus!

Now most men are either one kind of a man or another. There are men like Nathan, a grease monkey, a guy who gets dirty, works with his hands, handy around the house, and can make any situation work...that's right any situation including rigging up the car seat on the push lawn mower so the kids can ride along, fishing out a toothbrush lodged in the pipes of the toilet, and eliminating a bird problem in the shop by making a huge duct tape ball and throwing it at the bird, only after unsuccessful attempts shooting at it with a pellet gun.

As mentioned earlier, there are "other" kind of men. By other, I don't mean bad, actually quite good, the world needs people of all types to operate successfully. You all know the kind I'm talking about...and I don't feel bad about saying it because quite often they are self-proclaimed, yep that's right, "The Computer Geek."

Pale skinned, glasses, sort of tall...but not always, kind of skinny...and sometimes not. Granted not all fit this description but for the most part you could pick them out of a crowd. They just have "the look".

Nathan, does NOT have the look, in my opinion that is and I'm pretty sure others would agree. But oddly enough, he is a bit of a computer geek. He could surf the web for hours upon hours (he does in fact do that), and he loves technology and always wants the newest gadget out there. Just the other evening I heard a noise coming from the front door area of the house, one of the kids crying to get in (We keep them locked out sometimes....totally kidding!) Poor little Jentzen can't get the door open. I go to look, nothing....then I hear it again..."What are they doing out there?"

Nathan, "Oh it's just my farm animals on my computer game." Nice, I think roosters, pigs, and cows are my children outside...anyways...on with the story of where the two mans collide.

Bang, Bang, Bang

Me: "Having a problem are we?"

N: "My computer! It keeps shutting itself off!"

Me: "That's weird, why?"

N: "The fan is broken so it keeps overheating."

I indeed was aware of this problem, but I find asking about it shows I am involved and concerned. The past weeks his computer would make strange airplane-like noises...and I had heard him whacking it from time to time in the evening hours. I hadn't asked previously...I've learned my lesson about interjecting my "positive thinking" under tense situations. When tools get thrown to the floor, and the big sludge hammer and cutting torch come out while he's in the role of "automotive technician"....it really is the best idea to casually slip away into the house, pretend you didn't see anything, and never mention it again.

Me: "That's too bad."

N: "That's it, I'm taking it apart!"

Me: "Your computer? Are laptops meant to be taken apart?"

N: "Well it's either try to fix it or get a new one."

Me: (the one who does the family finances) "Taking it apart is a GREAT idea!"

Walking into the room about 2 hours later...I found this! The keyboard sitting up to the right, the "motherboard" sitting below that, Nathan has his hands on who knows what...maybe that troublesome fan, and miscellaneous screws and bolts strewn about the desk.

Me: "Are you sure that's going to make it back together?"

N: "Well it better!"

I have to admit, I was a little worried. Last time I checked, computers were not meant to look like this.

Three or four hours later....

Me: "Well how did it go?"

N: "It turned on, booted up, and is now working."

Me: "Nice Work? Any screws left?"

N: "Only 2!!"

It's still working today despite the 2 screws (I'm sure they were just factory suggestion). I am impressed when he can have a whole car taken apart and get it back together, but this really topped it all! What a man I have!!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm..... Nathan and a pellet gun!!! Dangerous!! There is still a shed in Queensland with ventilation holes in the roof!

Funny about having screws left over, I still have a lot of left over stuff here.

If you want to confuse him sometime grab a handful of bolts and mix them in with his car ones when he is working on the car or hide a couple of important ones. It will worry him for hours in case it is an important one he has missed! :)

Post a Comment