Sunday, March 1, 2009

Counting your pennies...

I was at a store with Quaid and Ava doing some price comparison shopping. So really, I wasn't shopping at all, I was just looking. So Quaid and Ava would ask every now and then if we were going to buy something...and I said no, we're just looking today.

Quaid spotted a big play gym set up conveniently way high so you could see it from pretty much anywhere in the store.

Q: "Hey, can we go see that big slide??"

Me: "Sure." (struggling to get my big cart through the isle...it's Sunday and the store was packed reasurring my goal to never shop on the weekends)

Q: "Can we buy that?"

Me: "No, we're just looking today."

Q: "Do you have any money mom?"

Me: "No, not today."

Q: "I have money at home mom." (grandma cleaned out her change cup and passed it along to the kids)

Me: "Yep, that's why we save our money right? To get something really special."

Q: "Yeah mom! I'm saving my money for a slide!"

Me: "That's a good idea Quaid, save up for something big you really really want." (I'm trying to start teaching the kids about good money management and spending habits...never too early to start!)

Skip ahead to bedtime....Quaid was in his bed all ready and I hear the jingling of change.

Me: "What are you doing Quaid?

Q: "After grandmas do you think we could go back to that store where the slide is? I have my money all ready." (thumbing through his pennies and nickels)

Me: "Quaid we have to wait until the snow goes away and it gets warm out to get a slide to play outside."

Q: "Okay, I'll keep my money right here for when it gets warm. I'm going to save it all up mom."

So precious isn't it...the mind of a child. He's got no concept of the value of things and life just seems so easy. He's got some spare change, why not buy a slide...he has no idea that the coins in his hand don't even come close to the $1300 price tag on that piece of equipment. Oh to go back to the age where life has no worries at all and things seem so easy. Yet another job that is mine as a parent...to prepare him for the reality of life...the reality that things of this world will decay and he will grow past them. To teach him that instead of focusing on saving up his pennies, to focus on saving up his time and energy for things of the Lord...for only then will he be truly satisfied with his investment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment