Sunday, January 18, 2009

Always good times....

We are having a great day today!!

Daddy is still gone up north and will be coming home this afternoon sometime. So I've been "single parent" all weekend. Something I don't really look forward to. I love being home with the kids during the day but always can't wait till I hear Nathan's irritating custom exhaust coming up the driveway. Sorry honey, but it is a bit ear piercing. So being this is then end of my 2 1/2 day stent...I thought I would be in not such a happy state.

So like I said, we are having a great day. Kids are happy, mom is happy, everything has gone smoothly. I am routinely asked "how do you do it?" pertaining to my kids. People mostly think my kids so close was an accident because what sane individual would have 4 children in 4 years...well 4 1/2 years to be exact.

I started thinking about what makes happy days and what makes not so happy days around here. I have to say a majority of the time my house is very under control. I am in control of this house and my kids and they know it. There are very few days that are chaotic. Every once in a while "happy hour" is a bit crazy...but that is just kids being kids. They are not being disobedient, they are not being destructive...they are just getting some energy out!


So I got to thinking if yesterday was a rough day and today was a great day...what made the difference? I came to the conclusion...it was me!!

I woke up yesterday...a little tired from sleep being disturbed by spiders in the bed (see previous post) I knew that it was just me all day...Nathan would not be coming home to give me a break, I would have no adult company, and I had 15 hours of child care to get through. I have to admit...the thought it of made me a bit cranky. So when the kids needed direction and discipline I was already impatient. They were no different than they are any other day. The difference is how I react. I allowed myself to be crabby and impatient..and we were all out of routine.

My kids are very structured and as a result the days go very smoothly. Meal times, play time, school time, rest times and clean up times are all things that happen every day and the kids know when, so when I say it's time to eat...no issues, it's time to sleep...no issues, it's time to clean up...usually no issues (my kids are still kids and if anything raises a fuss, it's cleaning up time!)

Yesterday I was just in one of those moods when I wanted to put the least amount of effort into parenting as I could, I'm sure we all have them. They weren't lead throughout the day, they didn't know what we were going to do and what was going to be expected of them next. I did whatever I felt like whenever I wanted to do it. At the end of the day Ava comes running, "Mom we forgot to do school!" That was a description of the day...what were we doing and when were we going to do it? The kids were lost! And as a result a bit all over the place getting into things they normally dont bother and me over reacting and getting frustrated with them.

I think sometimes we like to think it was a bad day because of something our kids did do or didn't do...but I have decided it's all up to me...which is not a fun conclusion to come to. I set the tone for the day, I decide how our day will be run...even my attitude sets the day. When I am patient, I'm showing them patience and which they in turn show to eachother. When I'm calm and controlled, so are they.

My kids were no different yesterday than they were today. It was me. I have made a promise to myself that I will never use the "my kids just won't do....." or "my kid is just like that" excuse. I know my kids behaviour is up to me. Yes they have personalities but I need to ask myself, what have I done or not done to teach them.

I decided last night what was going to be accomplished today, what the order of the day was going to be. I woke up with a plan for the day....and it all happened and happened smoothly with lots of smiles and laughs. Meal times went smooth, school time was great, the laundry got done, the toys are all cleaned up, my house is clean and they are now having their quiet resting time. A peaceful home...must different than yesterday.

So forgive me kiddos for the days that I just don't have it together. It's not you...it's me. You are GREAT kids...it's mom who's not so great some days. As we pray together every day, "Help mommy to be a good mommy." Keep on praying kids, I need it!!

For those of you that ask how do I do it, that is how. A routine that allows my kids to always know what's happening and works for all of us. The rest is up to me. My days are my decisions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment