Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snow Birds




Between Christmas and New Years the Pahl family goes skiing. We have been doing this since I was 7 years old...a 20 year tradition. I have many fond memories of skiing with my family... A 17 hour car ride with 9 people in a surburban with all that luggage and skis running down the sides making an oh so comfortable place to rest your head. An 8 person train going down the hill. Foraging new trails through the woods with only an occasional run in with a tree. My sisters and I deciding we knew the way back to our ski in-ski out condo by foot through the woods so it was no big deal if we got caught on the hill when all the chair lifts closed. After all we were just on the other side of that tree line on the next slope over, or the next tree line, or the next tree line, or the next....doing this all with ski boots on in 3 feet of snow carrying our skis...that was an adventure....how late would we have to have been before they sent out a search party??






But we all have grown up and lets face it, the older you get the colder you seem to get and the fun of skiing doesn't win over the fact that your toes and fingers are numb and you can't feel your face. I have skipped the past few years on the slopes and have instead enjoyed guess what else, playing cards with my parents and other siblings who opted for the less physical activities.






But this year my kids are old enough to learn. We did take them out for a little bit last year but it was cold last year and they didn't last long. But this year I geared up and took them out. Not my favorite thing to do. Like I said, skiing doesn't really excite me much anymore. It was a beautiful day, sunny and 30 degrees. Perfect for skiing.






Quaid and Ava did surprisingly well for only a few hours out on the slope. We went sledding with them the first day, so they only had the morning of the next day. We held onto them for the first few times down and then they were doing it on their own. All the little kids of the family were out there, Gabby, Lauren, Lydia and my two. Poor Jentzen missed out...I coudln't handle all three of them!! Next year little man...






Ava was little girly about it the first few times down...hanging on for dear life. But then she looked to her left...what were those chairs floating in the air like a carnival ride?!?!? I want to go on those mommy, she says to me. I told her when she was able to ski by herself, turn, and stop then we could go on those. So we finished down the hill and went up to the top again. When we were all set at the top, she brushes my hands off her, "Don't hold onto me mom, I can do it myself." And away she went...she was determined to ride on those chairs. Next year we will. Quaid was also cruising along by himself up and down the "Magic Carpet" having fun with Gabby.






Even though every Christmas might be the only time we go every year, I am glad we are teaching them now. It gave me a lot of motivation to get my kids out there and teach them now while I was watching a lady my age trying to learn. Man it was painful...it's a lot easier when you're closer to the ground!!








0 comments:

Post a Comment