Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Eve...so what exactly do parents of 4 small kids do on New Years Eve???

Have a wild and crazy party night of course!! Well about as wild as we get anyway :) We had our bestest friends Deb and RW over for a game night! Deb brought dinner...which is ALWAYS a good thing...not only do I not have to cook, but she never fails to bring a stunner of a meal. I however slaved away on the sides to her Chicken Kiev...left over garlic bread and salad in a bag from our annual Pahl family ski trip the weekend before. So if anyone is going to comment on the "slave away" part...think again. If you've ever tried to open a salad in a bag with no knife knows exactly what I'm talking about!!! Okay so I had a knife...I did have my house clean...that's enough slaving for one day!!

Deb brought a little craft over for the kids to do which they always look forward to, little foam letters to stick on foam boards. She's great at entertaining them and doing extra special things with them. After half the kids were in bed and the other 2 happily watching a movie with popcorn...we got to it.

500 was the game of the night. We hadn't played it since last New Year's Eve when we taught Deb and RW. They claimed to have practiced up....ha ha ha....I laugh at the thought. As if that was going to help them win!?!?!?

As everyone probably knows, my very very very favorite thing to do is play cards...I live for it and will play any game at any chance I get with whoever is willing to play with me. As I was talking to Deb today...we both decided we could play games for 10 hours a day...every day! One of the many reasons we get on so well. And it's even more fun for me when I get to do my very favorite thing with my very favorite person..my hubby.

If anyone knows Nathan...it's his very very very least favorite thing to do. (Which TOTALLY baffles me...who on earth doesn't like games???) Especially after he had been up since 4 am snowplowing and then a 10 hour day at work. It's always a speical occasion when he plays with me but considering the day it was even more appreciated!

He suffered through it till 11:45pm!! (I think he secretly really has a good time...but he would never let me in on it because I would be after him more than I already am to play with me...I'm on to you honey:)

We did manage to beat them 3out of 5 games...the last one coming back from a huge deficit to clinch the title: "500 Champions 2008" A great ending to a great night!

So kids, when you read this a few years from now...look how much your daddy loves me...he "suffered" through playing cards with me....at least once this year:)

What will 2009 bring for us?

Whatever happens between today and the end of the year will happen...the important thing is knowing it will end with "500 Champions 2009" claimed by the Walkingtons once again!!

On a side note, Nathan will be reviving his website www.nathanwalkington.com which is full of pictures of us and the kids.

2 comments:

Melanie B said...

Im with you, bring on the cards when we come over!!! You & I can play 10 hours straight if you want, mind you we might have to be social. Got the girls started early too we have been playing board games camping, can't wait till they play cards!!!! ME XX

Deb, Karen & Megan said...

Wow. I didn't know there was a title for the winners! I might just add - having only played that game about 5 times in my entire life, we beat you TWICE ;-).

Post a Comment